5 Tips for Cleaning Carpets and Rugs
Do maintenance requirements keep you from investing in carpets?
Carpets, like any other flooring products, are not exactly immune to dirt, spills, and damages. No matter how pristine they look when you first get them, over time, they will pick up dirt that you will have to clean.
At first sight, they may seem fine after vacuuming. But if you have young kids, elderly, persons with medical conditions, and pets, you might want to pay more attention to your carpets.
The thing is, carpet and rug cleaning does not have to be a stressful chore. It should be manageable and these tips will help:
- Wash your carpets regularly. Set a schedule for cleaning your carpets. You can give them a thorough wash every three months using a shampoo specially made for carpets. Ask your supplier if they can recommend a specific brand or cleaning technique. The longer you leave your carpets unwashed, the higher the chances of stains settling down into the fibre. This brings us to our next tip which is to…
- Treat stains immediately. Do not push down or scrub on stains, though. This might only cause the stain to penetrate deeper into the carpet fibres. Be gentle. Use a cloth, sponge, or paper towel to dab the stain. Start from the outside and work your way to the center of the stain. Going outward may only cause the stain to spread further.
- Be careful about cleaning agents that you use. You can always make your own deep-cleaning solution, provided the substances you use are safe and gentle. Your goal, remember, is to clean the carpet and not to damage it. You may use soapy water, detergent, dish soap, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, and even baking soda. To be sure, ask your carpet supplier. If you are investing in luxury handmade rugs, it is only fitting to know how to care for them properly.
- Use ice cubes. Ice cubes are another lifesaver for your rugs and carpets. Gum, impression marks, and indents may all be removed by applying ice cubes on the area. Press the ice against your targeted stain for about 45 seconds or less. Once your target solidifies, it is time to lift it up using a spoon. You may use sharp scissors or a knife to cut small strands from the affected area.
- Look after your pets. If you have pets, it is inevitable for accidents to occur on carpets. The key is to clean up immediately. The odor is stronger anyway at first so you will have to treat it as soon as you can. Be sure to use organic products to preserve your rugs and carpets. After cleaning the area, you may wipe up the remains of the cleaning agent with a white cloth. It is important to use non-toxic products as little kids, pets, and even adults are likely to sit or lie down on the carpets.
Carpets add personality, beauty, and warmth to a room. Take care of them with regular carpet and rug cleaning. You can do it yourself or let a professional cleaner take over. Either way, proper maintenance will extend the lifespan of your carpets and keep them looking good as new.