A car or truck or bus is not like a human body which runs itself they need some external force to move. As you know according to the newton first law of motion an object or a body remains at rest until an external force act on it. Same is with car or truck they will not move until they get the external force.
To move a vehicle from the rest an engine helps. The engine is a part of the vehicle which converts chemical energy into mechanical energy, where the chemical stands for fuel like diesel, petrol and gasoline. The engine is the heart of an automobile.
In human beings a person cannot live without heart similarly a car or truck cannot move a single centimetre without the engine.
If you answered yes and wants to know about engines so we welcome you. At here we will discuss types of engine and differences.
Types of Engines
There are two types of an automobile engine.
- External Combustion Engine
- Internal Combustion Engine
External Combustion Engine
This is an engine containing fuel combustion outside the cylinder is known as an external combustion engine. In this engine, heat is formed by burning of fuel which is used to transform the water and other liquids into steam. This high-pressure steam is used to transform rotational energy in these engines all types of fuels can uses
Internal Combustion Engine
It is an engine in which the combustion of the fuel occurs inside the engine. When the fuel engine burns inside the cylinder, it generates a high temperature and pressure. When this high pressure applied on the piston it starts to turn the wheel of the vehicle.
Types of Internal Combustion Engine
- Two Stroke Engine
- Four Stroke Engine
In a two-stroke engine, a piston moves up and down inside the cylinder and completes a crankshaft revolution during a single time of fuel injection while in a four-stroke engine the piston moves up and down two times inside the cylinder and completes two crankshaft revolutions during the single burning time fuel.
- In two-stroke engines has no oil ring while the four-stroke engine has oil rings because in two-stroke engine petrol and lubricant oil is used that’s why the two-stroke engine doesn’t need oil ring.
- The four-stroke engine has intake and exhaust valve, while the two-stroke engine does not need this.
- The two-stroke engine has small flywheel (a mechanical device which is used to store rotational energy in engines) because, its work in stable mode.
- Two strokes engines have additional transfer port while the four-stroke engines have not.
- Due to fewer components, the two-stroke engine has lightweight than the four-stroke engine.
- In four-stroke engine has lubricant oil in the crankcase, while in two-stroke engine crankcase contain petrol and lubricant both because of premix lubrication.
- Power stroke per single revolution of the crankshaft in two-stroke, while power stroke per two revolutions of the crankshaft.
- The two-stroke engine has a more power-weight ratio, where the four-stroke engine has less ratio.
- The two-stroke engines have low fuel efficiency per kilometre (mileage) where four-stroke engines have more fuel efficiency per kilometre. In simple words, we can say that two-strokes engines take less fuel than the four-stroke engine.
- In the two-stroke engine, fresh charge always mix with the exhaust gas wherein four-stroke engines because of separate stroke it does not occur.
- Because of its construction, two-strokes engines produce more noise than the four-stroke engine.
- Two-stroke engines have less thermal efficiency. In four-stroke, they have more thermal efficiency.
- Four strokes engines have more friction than two strokes engine because it has more components.
- Two-stroke engines have a low capital(because of oil+fuel) cost than four-stroke engines (because of only fuel).
- Two strokes engines have less maintenance cost than the four-stroke engines because of fewer components.
So these were the types, and differences between the engines. Next time when you go market to purchase the used engine or new engine or remanufactured engine. You can easily your problem, what to buy two-stroke or four-stroke.