A family day care centre is the starting place to learn for kids ages 3-5. But the basic lessons that are taught in school usually begins at home. One of these is reading.
Reading opens the mind of a learner and also develops their comprehension. The like for reading must start in toddler years. But it’s in the day care Brisbane where reading skills are developed.
Below are suggested routines at home which can help start the reading habits of a toddler:
- Give toys that can help instill a likeness for reading similar to those being given in a day care By selecting the right games that the toddlers can play with at home, a parent can have the chance to take a lead role in teaching a kid to learn.
An example of toys that can develop the reading skills as early as the toddler years are: board games, wooden blocks, and alphabet toys.
- Read to your child as often. This is a good method to build reading habits. By reading a book to your child at least once a day, your child can gain confidence in learning and this includes reading.
An example will be picture books, pop-up books or even audio books that can give a more creative approach to teaching reading to kids.
- Build interest in reading by setting a good example. If you’re trying to get your child to gain a habit of reading, show that you like books enough to read consistently. This way you can be a role model to your family day care center student.
- Choose reading materials that have short paragraphs and not the lengthily written ones.
Make things easy by choosing books that are appropriate for young learners. Short paragraphs are preferred because these are easier to read and understand for kids.
- Take small steps and put reading inspo in many areas of the house. You can try putting alphabet magnets or put sticker letters in your refrigerator, closet, or wall. Anything that will inspire your child to want to learn reading.
This way, your kid’s learning at a home daycare gets a follow through at home.