Summer heat causes your roof to get as hot as a furnace due to continuous heat trapped inside your attic. Many a time you have a feel of living in an oven as the entire house gets heated up. Moreover, the seeping attic heat into the rooms makes the house an uncomfortable place to live. It also adds to the air-conditioning expenses as your room ACs are running non-stop.
On the other hand, a properly ventilated house can help to reduce the air-conditioning expenses by breaking the heat cycle and removing that oven effect. Passive roof vents work wonderfully to make every room of yours, evenly comfortable.
Similarly, in winters you have to manage that locked hot air before it moistens to prompt the growth of mold and rot. In addition to this, damage to shingles and striped off gutters and soffits also become the concerns due to trapped warm air. Professional roofing Dallas tx can be contacted for roof ventilation advice and other roofing construction issues.
What Professionals Say About Adequate Roof Ventilation?
According to the general rule, one square foot of vent area is the minimum requirement for every 300 square feet of attic surface area to ensure adequate ventilation. Natural airflow can be encouraged by making effective use of passive roof vents without the motorized fans. Rooftop vents improve the general solace of the house by giving escape holes or openings to sweltering, stale, soggy air, which can touch temperature of 150 degrees in summer.
Recommended- Check Your Roof Vents Regularly
- You are advised to check your roof vents carefully at regular time intervals to avoid unwanted expenses. And, if you are too busy to do this job, you may call the professional roofing services in Dallas for annual roof vent check-up.
- It is very essential to clear the vent screens to remove dirt, dust, leaves, pollen, bird nests, spider webs, and much more that can impede the airflow.
- Timely repair of screen rips, tears or damaged flashing is another solution to avoid greater damages.
- Flashing or framing are more prone to rust and rot, check around carefully.
- Inspect the attic of your house from inner sides to clear the insulation from soffit vent openings.
- Many a time you feel helpless to control the problems like mold, ice dams, and damaged shingles because of lack of knowledge. Contact any professional roofer to evaluate whether your house is adequately ventilated or not.
Popular Roof Vent Options Available:
A wide variety of roof vents is available in the market which works well in different circumstances.
These vents run along the top or peak of the roof. Designed with an external baffle feature, ridge vents efficiently protect your house from rain, snow, dust and increase airflow simultaneously. The best thing is that these vents usually are manageable easily as their caps get blended with your roof material.
The word static itself reveals that these vents have no moving parts. These are basically protected holes in the roof to allow air circulation. These vents use the wind or natural convection to transfer cooler air into the attic and throw the hotter air out.
You can get a good choice in design here like roofline, roof louver, dormer, and eyebrow vents. These vents are installed in an even line across the roof.
Wind turbines are super effective in areas with an average wind velocity of 5mph. These vents act over natural wind currents to spin the internal fan. This way they drive the hot air out of the attic.
A power-assisted vent:
These vents are successful in areas with little wind. A power vent uses electric or solar power to run motors to propel the air out of the attic. Nowadays, power vents with adjustable thermostats are also available which are compatible in the situation when the attic reaches a particular temperature or humidity.
Louvers or gable vents are meant to be seen. These vents can be used in combination with other vents. The more the height of these vents, the more they prove effective. Though these vents have limited airflow being present under the roof deck, these gable vents add architectural beauty to an invisible opening.
The function of vents is not just getting rid of hot air. Soffit vents are designed to allow fresh air intake. Usually, these are made of vinyl or aluminum and contain slits or tiny perforations for natural airflow. These are used in combination with a ridge vent. Most of the new house constructions in the USA have soffit vents. Don’t feel low if you are the proud owner of an old establishment as they can be added to old ones too.
Benefits of AdequateRoof Ventilation:
- Proper ventilation enhances energy efficiency as the attic temperature gets lower. It discourages the hot air from permeating into your house.
- Installing effective vents lessen your electricity expenses as air conditioners need not work as hard, as long and as often. Not only energy costs reduce but the life of your cooling and heating system also increases.
- Suitable ventilation equipment helps to keep your entire house at one even temperature to maintain a comfortable environment throughout the day or even season.
- You can also extend the life of your old roof or replacement and shingles by installing proper ventilation.
- Appropriate ventilation also safeguards your insulation as it prevents dripping from condensation caused by trapped fumes from home apparatuses.
- Finally, well-put ventilation in your home counteracts caught dampness, which can come into contact with, and harm, your home’s wood surrounding.
Best Ventilation Types for Your Home:
Like every individual’s unique needs, each home also has different structural or design requirements. The airflow also differs from the house or roof design. Therefore the correct type of vent depends on your particular roof needs.
Dallas roofing contractor has rich experience in evaluating roofing needs. Call the best one to analyze you’re replaced, an old or new roof to ascertain the best suitable type of vents for your home.