Home safety and security tips you should always consider
If you are building a new home or already owning a house you might be worried about its security and protection. It is something that cannot be compromised. Home security and safety measures are significant to avoid any kind of accidents, trips, and falls. By taking these precautionary measures you can also protect your houses from emergency situations like fire or theft etc. As the head and owner of the house, it is your utmost duty to make your house a safe place, where your family members can live, breathe and relax without any worries. Here we have mentioned some tips for your home safety and security that will help you to ensure your home safety and security from any danger or accident. These tips include some safety design features to add if you are constructing a new home or maintaining it and some precautionary measures to avoid any mishaps.
Most of the domestic accidents occur in kitchens and bathrooms. These may be due to a number of reasons. Some of these problems and their solutions are given below.
Kitchen safety design
One lac people get injured every year because of kitchen accidents. These accidents occur due to poor ventilation systems, faulty kitchen designs, and carelessness in dealing with gas stoves, etc. To avoid these accidents you have to consider these design features and tips.
- Make sure that your microwave is out of the reach of children or at least above their eye level.
- Your kitchen must have a benchtop that is heatproof. This is to avoid burning when you take out the dish from the oven while it is too hot.
- Try to place your electric appliances away from any direct heat source like stoves. These electric appliances heat up easily so to avoid any danger you should place them near a window.
- Assure proper ventilation system to control heat level in the kitchen. Take breaks while you are cooking to avoid heat.
Bathroom safety design
Bathroom slips are so common that almost 235000 people get injured every year by either slipping on the bathroom floor or in the bathtub. Slipping in the bathtub may also cause severe head injuries which result in death in some cases. There are a lot of cases where people died due to suffocation after getting locked in the bathroom. So, there is a high need to adopt certain ways of living and also to add some safety design features in your bathroom. This will protect you from getting hurt. Ensure the following steps given below and take the assistance of bathroom inspector in this regard.
- During the construction or maintenance of your bathrooms, make sure there is a suitable distance between power points and areas of water sources like your shower area, bathtub, and washbasins. This will protect you from any short circuits.
- To avoid slips in the bathtub, bathtub handles are extremely necessary. This should be not only for elderly or disabled people but also for other family members because anyone can slip after using shampoo or soap etc. in the shower area or bathtub.
- While designing your bathroom, make sure to use non-slip bathroom flooring. This will avoid any accidental falls in the bathroom. The best option for a non-slip floor is the use of vinyl flooring.
- You should have such locks in the bathroom can be opened from outside in case of any emergency situations because lots of people died due to suffocation as they were stuck in their bathrooms.
Ensure doors safety
- During maintenance and construction of your house, make sure the doors are strong and secure.
- The main gate or the outside door must have a door peephole so that you can see who is at the door before opening it.
- In most of the cases, robbers or thieves enter the house by fooling children and made them open the door. To avoid this situation, make sure that the doorknobs are out of the reach of children. You can also use such locks that cannot be easily opened by children.
- Nowadays smart locks are used in most of the building and apartments. You can also install them in your main door as they provide extra security and protection through RFID, biometric and keypad access.
Other home safety precautionary measures
- Install CCTV cameras around your home to at first place avoid any intruders. In case you see a stranger near your house you can call the police right away to secure your house from damage. Also, the fear of getting caught by a CCTV footage will refrain the thieves to break into your place.
- Having a dog can also be very useful for home security. Dogs used to bark if they see some outsider or stranger entering your home so it can be very helpful.
- Make sure there are no vine plants or tree branches near the windows. We know that it looks great and also improves the overall aesthetics but it can prove to be a helping hand for the thieves and intruders to break into your home.
- Keep the lights of garage and yard on especially at night. Also, make sure to secure all doors and windows before sleeping or leaving the house.