How Does Alcohol Affect Acne?
Alcohol in some cases has a beneficial effect on health but in most cases, it’s harmful and may cause severe health problems. Let’s review the impact of alcohol on the immune system, what restrictions should be observed in the use of alcoholic drinks, how to avoid harmful effects on the immune system, and the relationship between acne and alcohol.
Alcohol and the immune function
One of the main reasons for the negative effect of alcohol on the body is dehydration which causes edema and thirst. Moreover, alcohol overloads the cardiovascular system.
Among other things, alcohol can adversely affect the digestive system which may result in various skin diseases like acne. Alcoholic cocktails are most harmful to the digestive system since they contain a large amount of sugar, spices, and additives.
Alcohol intoxication affects the immune system through decreasing the level of vitamins A, C, E which are very important for the body. Alcohol also activates the mechanisms of inflammation in the body.
Alcohol and Acne
Can alcohol cause acne? Yes, it can cause acne and even exacerbate it, but how?
- Hormonal background. Alcohol consumption increases the level of male hormones which can cause acne and exacerbate it.
- Stress. One of the proven causes of acne is emotional stress. According to statistics, people who regularly drink alcohol drinks often can’t cope with stressful situations and are more prone to depression and anxiety.
- Medications. Alcohol can affect the impact of topical and systemic anti-acne medications which you take, therefore you should read the instructions. In the case of severe acne in women, doctors often prescribe hormonal contraceptives. But alcohol negatively affects the effectiveness of these medications which means that your treatment will be for nothing.
- Digestive system. The harmful effects of alcohol on the digestive system can also cause acne or its exacerbation. Gastrointestinal problems are considered by many researchers as one of the main causes of acne.
- Rosacea. Rosacea is not acne but these diseases are similar. The negative effect of alcohol on the circulatory system can contribute to erythema, followed by rosacea.
Therefore, if you want to get rid of acne you should watch your health, minimize your bad habits, maintain a healthy diet, and properly treat your skin.
How to Drink Alcohol in the Case of Acne?
You can drink alcohol in moderation but you should also observe the following rules:
- Drink water. Try to drink water during alcohol consumption. Your body won’t experience a lack of water which is harmful to your overall health, including the skin.
- Take Vitamin A. Alcohol consumption decreases the levels of vitamin A which is essential for the skin.
- Take care of your skin. After a party, try to use patches for the skin around the eyes, moisturizing masks, and serums. A lymphatic drainage massage is also a good option. If you regularly drink alcoholic beverages, you can consult a cosmetologist and take an injection course to improve your skin such as biorevitalization, plasma therapy or mesotherapy.
- Watch the level of your hormones. Alcohol consumption can lead to a change in hormonal balance.
- Control portions. Try to consume no more than 1-2 glasses of wine per day.