Not everyone understands what an NGO’s are, what they stand for and what they do, how they can support the causes that they want to support. Since not everyone has a unique experience working with one or donating to one of the non profit organizations. Most especially NGO’s here in the Philippines are not really known by the people due to the fact that the people tend to know the platforms that the government are making rather than the accomplishments of the NGO’s. Here are some basic facts about what NGO really is:
- NGO is an abbreviation for Non- Government Organization. They are not a part of the government nor the private sector. There is no focus on the power of people or becoming wealthy through working with or at this kind of organization. So the question is why do people do it?
- NGO are mostly humanitarian groups. The community and the people are the priority of the organization. These organizations strive to better the world, support a cause and help the less fortunate.
- NGO’s are non-profit organizations. This means that all money will be placed back into the organization’s work and will not be a profit to the founders of the organizations, owner, staff or donor. There should be no interest in money if you want to build or work with an NGO. The mission is often to help the suffering of the people and also to protect not just them but also their rights.
- They can range from local to international. There are approximately 40,000 NGOs in the world adding to the community based organizations, this is according to the United Nations Development Program. An NGO can be a local organization and help those in their community or they can be international one and help those people who are thousands of miles away from their location.
- Every little bit of help counts. They are funded by various organizations or ways as well. There are some of them that are government grants, grants from some of the foundation and there are some that are funded by corporate businesses. They are also funded by small or large donors. You don’t need to be a billionaire to donate: anyone can donate. Every donor who donates is appreciated and it will aid the cause, no matter how big or small the donation is.
- Passion and desire is present here in NGO. They consist of people who volunteer to help: technically, there is no requirement to join this type of organization. All of the NGO share the common principle of humanity and bettering the lives of those less fortunate and those committed to NGOs activities support this principle of bettering the life of the people.
- This type of organization works to make a difference. The work of an NGO may vary from livelihood, healthcare, child mortality, poverty, emergency response, education, water and sanitation and other needs of the people. If there are any issues, there is most likely that there is an NGO that is currently working on it.
- NGO believe in the rights of the people. They are a force in the global civil society and they aim to provide access to every basic human rights to those in need of it. Development is not a privilege, it’s a process that the NGOs are working for.