You might have often noticed people complaining about decreased desire to eat. It is common among individuals of all age groups. Are you one among the many experiencing a loss of appetite? Yes! Then, you are not alone in the loop. Many individuals suffer from a decreased appetite at least once in their lifetime. The cause for less desire to eat can be due to many underlying factors. Anorexia (Loss of appetite) signals that something is going wrong inside the body. But, it can be a cause of concern if the individual is having repeated bouts of anorexia. In such a situation, he or she might have an underlying disorder that needs immediate doctor’s attention to correct it. So, in this article let’s see a few healthy tips which you can use without guilt to improve your appetite.
What are the causes of a decreased appetite?
Here, we have listed out a few possible common causes for a loss of appetite. Check out below:
- Acid reflux
- Digestive disorder
- Cold & flu
- Intestinal worms infestation
- Side-effects of certain medications: antibiotics, sedatives, radiation therapy, chemotherapy etc.
A few medical conditions can also decrease your appetite, a few of them include:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Eating disorders: Anorexia nervosa and Bulimia
When to seek medical help?
Many of the times loss of appetite can be reversed back if the symptoms are fixed with a few home cares. But, if you are continuously facing appetite issues due to certain medical interventions like side-effects of medications, or after chemotherapy treatment, then visiting your healthcare provider is a must. The doctor will thoroughly examine your conditions and check for the possible cause of your decreased appetite. Also, if you have any of the symptoms like severe weight loss, extreme fatigue, irritability, and increased heart rate then visit your doctor immediately as the symptoms if left untreated, you may develop other life-threatening disorders. Hence, on-time treatment is required to resolve your health complications.
Sometimes your doctor may suggest a few tests like complete blood test, liver function tests, kidney function test, abdomen ultrasound, and thyroid function test to rule out the cause. Based on the type and severity of the disease, your doctor may suggest medications, or antidepressants, stimulate your appetite. Buy prescription drugs online from any reliable online medicine site in India and enjoy your savings every time you shop for the medicines or products in any online drugstore.
Natural remedies to improve appetite:
Decrease appetite may cause malnutrition. Here we have listed out a few natural remedies to restore your appetite on track. So, follow this and don’t leave yourself with the tag of undernutrition as this if left untreated, can lessen your immunity and more prone to serious health disorders and diseases.
- Ginger: Ginger root is used to treat digestive problems, bloating stomach, flatulence, and other gastrointestinal disorders. It also has carminative and antispasmodic properties. Use ginger in your daily meals, make ginger tea or add a piece of ginger in your favourite drink to treat loss of appetite, increase digestion and calm down digestive issues. Also, have a candied ginger piece after your meal to promote digestion.
- Amla: Yes! It helps to improve the appetite for a sick and a normal person. The Indian gooseberry or amla is an excellent tonic for gastrointestinal issues. Amla helps to boost digestive functions; thereby increasing your appetite naturally. Having amla mixed with honey reduces nausea, increases vitamin C content, supplies the body with required nutrients, and boost immunity.
- Black pepper: Black pepper boosts your digestion and can increase your appetite. Consuming black pepper powder with jaggery will help reduce bloating, flatulence, and constipation.
- Carom seeds: Carom seeds or ajwain offers us numerous health benefits. It helps to fix all your gastrointestinal problems, acidity, cold, and other health issues at one go. Add the roasted, ground powder of carom seeds in buttermilk, in curries or sprinkle in dough while making rotis to improve your appetite.
- Cumin seeds: Cumin seeds help to counter your lost appetite. Dry roast cumin seeds and add water to the seeds. Reduce it to half and filter the solution. Drinking this solution, adding a pinch of salt helps to improve your digestion. Also, add the dry roasted cumin powder in buttermilk, sprinkle on salads or mix in curries to improve your appetite.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is a great way to increase your appetite levels naturally. Add a dash of lemon juice on your favourite salad or drink lemon water twice a day to enhance the appetite.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera has a range of benefits. Aloe vera helps to cure digestive disorders, improves digestion, relieves constipation, lessens flatulence, and acidity. Aloe Vera juice also helps to flux toxins away, treats anaemia and balances your hormone levels. There is plenty of aloe vera juice in different brands available in the market. Buy aloe vera juice online from the best online medicine store in India and avail free home delivery and get your medicines delivered to your doorstep.
- Cardamom: Cardamom increases appetite by reducing flatulence, acidity, and indigestion issues.
Apart from the above-listed, a few other natural home remedies to enhance your appetite which you can include are:
- Fennel seeds:
- Pomegranate juice
An unhealthy lifestyle often leads to poor appetite. Try out a few of the listed traditional home remedies to tackle your health issues. If you still have no improvement in your appetite levels, then consult your healthcare provider. Always munch on healthy foods to stay fit and healthy!