If you love to grow plants, you should also know that the soil type also impacts the growth. Besides, you must also know about the various nutrients present in the soil and how they can impact the growth of the plant, and hence, it becomes important that one should go for soil testing.
Why is soil testing important?
- You can go ahead with soil testing at any time. Usually, people opt for the yearly cycle. Irrespective of the time of soil testing, you must get it done from a recognized center that provides you with detailed information about the type of soil and its nutrient value. This will especially be beneficial before the cropping season.
- A soil test shows the soil’s nutrient value, which eventually impacts the growth of the pants. In fact, soil testing has become a different field of study where scientists special focus on increasing the soil yield bypassing the quality of the soil.
- Did you know that the pH of the soil also impacts the growth of the plant and hence, it becomes important that one should choose to do the soil test? And based on they can assess how the soil can impact the growth of the plant.
- The soil testing shows you the exact status of the soil, its nutrient level, acidic and alkaline levels, which also helps you choose the right quantity of fertilizer so that you can enhance the growth of the plant.
The right way of collecting the sample for soil testing
- To begin with the soil testing, you must collect the sample by plotting it on the soil. To get better results, you must collect the soil from different portions of the land. This will give you better results.
- To begin the collection process, you must get rid of any debris present on the soil. And now collect the same by using a trowel or spade. Place this soil in a clean bucket and label it.
- While taking the sample, you must dig deeper up to 3 to 4 inches for the lawn, and in the case of the garden, you must dig as deep as 7 inches.
- When you have the soil with you, break it into lumps and clean the soil. Make sure that the sample that you are sending for testing is free of any debris or stone, as it can impact the result.
- To begin the testing, the soil is dried out, and then take the soil core samples and crush the sample in coarse power or till the time it’s crumbly. After this, remove some portion of the soil per area and place them in a labeled container and submit this sample to the lab.
Test results and remedies
- In the test result of soil testing, you will get to know about the pH of the soil. If the soil has lower pH, it shows that the soil is acidic and higher pH means higher alkalinity.
- This acid and alkaline level impact the growth of the plant. Some plants like vegetables and flowers grow well in acidic soil, while plants like gardenias and blueberries require higher acidity.
- When you have the knowledge and information about the acidic soil content, it will be easier for you to prepare the soil with the right nutrient value.
This was the basic information about soil testing; if you still haven’t got it done, then it’s time to get the soil testing done.
There are various testing centers that can help you with soil testing. You can contact them and ask for a sampling of soil and testing. Make sure that you contact only an authorized center for this work.