If you have been thinking about getting a utility trailer, then you are probably looking to save some bucks and should try to go for used ones or trailers for sale. This being said whenever you purchase something that is used or goes in for trailers for sale, you need to ensure that you thoroughly inspect and research the purchase. If you are not careful you might end up spending on upgrades or repairs in the future which will make it an expensive purchase for you. Generally, trailers for sale would be about half or probably even less of the price of a new one. Technically speaking there could be some amount of changes that you might need to spend on. However, you need to make the calculation and come at a proper figure and comparison as to whether a used one would really be feasible for you.
So how do you start your hunt and what should you do?
- Hunt for trailers for sale – There would be trailers for sale in online classifieds, newspapers, message boards or sales publications. You have to search with patience. Then you need to decide a budget for yourself and make a list of things that you need in the trailer. Then you have to start in contact with the owner.
- Trailer Floor – Floor of a trailer is the most important part when you go for trailers for sale you need to start at the very bottom. So you need to ensure that the trailer floor is strong, not rusting and is stable. This is extremely important as most problems start here for the trailer chassis. You also need to check below the floor to ensure that it doesn’t have any rusted pillars and the floor of the trailer should more strong and more stable.
- A complete check of the vehicle – It goes without saying that while selecting trailers for sale you ought to make sure that the tires are in good condition. There are no plugged holes, no cracks, any wear, bulges or dry rot. The tires should be capable enough to withstand the load that you plan for the trailer for safety. The bearings need to be seated well and lubricated. The hitch of the trailer needs to latch or unlatch well and should not have any missing parts. You ought to check that the brakes and the axles are working well. It would also be a good idea to check the magnets, pads, drums, rotors, and shoes. Checking the suspension is another important thing that you cannot neglect. You should check the spring hangers and leaf springs for any breaks, repairs, and cracks. This will give you an idea if there had been any sudden impact or the trailer was used for extra loads or if the axles have moved. The frame of the trailer for sale, and also the electricals need to be checked. While checking the frame, carefully look at the material it is made from. The best choice would be box tubing as it does not flex or twist.
- Title – When you purchase a trailer, please do ensure that it has a clear title. Try to dig in a bit and find out who the previous owners were. This will help you to know if it was borrowed or stolen by any chance.
- Size of Trailer – You need to ensure that the trailer for sale fits your requirements. It shouldn’t happen that the load you plan for cannot be taken up by the trailer. So you need to think about what and how much you would be using the trailer for and give it some margin while purchasing a trailer.
- Tongue length of Trailer – As important as the trailer is, you need to give attention to the tongue length too. The longer it is; the lesser strain it puts on your vehicle and is easy to back up.
For buying a trailer you must collect knowledge about the trailers and search for a manufacturer who manufactures and trailers for sale at a good price. Once you are completely satisfied with all your homework, you also need to get a notarized title and bill of your new trailer so that you will not face any problem in the future.